Decadent, chocolate, sinful, rich, gooey, sweet, chocolate, delicious, mouth-watering, melty, chocolate…wait, did I mention chocolate? All these words come to mind for me when I look at this photo of these amazing Triple Chocolate Scones.
Want to experience all these words in your own kitchen? Not to worry, I’m more than thrilled to share this recipe with you today!
Scones have always been a favourite breakfast of mine - I love the combination of flaky, crumbly and moistness that you find in the perfect scone. Guess what? These Triple Chocolate Scones are the perfect scone!
For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you probably noticed that I first made these scones last weekend, pairing them with some homemade Strawberry Chia Seed Jam. While they were spectacular straight out of the oven, the next day they were a tad too dry for my liking so I made a few tweaks to ensure that they were nothing short of perfect.
Initially, I made them with coconut oil but, as you’ll see from the recipe below, this time around I opted to swap that out in favour of unsweetened apple sauce, leaving the scones with the perfect amount of sweetness and a great, moist texture. I also added a touch more maple syrup, increased the flour amounts and added a dash of vanilla. Finally, to really take these over the top, I opted to make a chocolate drizzle which bumped these from a Double Chocolate Scone classification into the top-tiered Triple Chocolate Scone level. These scones don’t mess around!
The oat flour in these scones really gives them a hearty, wholesome texture that is still perfectly reminiscent of a regular scone made with wheat flour. For those of you who may not keep oat flour on hand, not to fret! We don’t keep it at home either but I do have a trick: I make my own! Our handheld immersion blender has a mini processor attachment that is perfect for making small batches of flour. If you’re going to make your own oat flour, use about 1/4 more oats that then required flour amount (ie. for 1 cup of oat flour, use 1 1/4 cup oats). As always, make sure that you’re using certified gluten-free oats - we love to use Bob’s Red Mill at home.
So what are you waiting for? Make a batch of these Triple Chocolate Scones for yourself - you’ll be super thrilled you did! As always, tag your photos #glutenfreeveganpantry and post them to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Google+ so that we can bask in the awesomeness known as Triple Chocolate Scones. All hail the chocolate!
Lots of Love & Happy Eats!
- 1¼ cups white rice flour
- 2 cups oat flour, certified gluten-free
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 Tbsp cocoa
- ½ cup enjoy life mini chips
- 5 Tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 4 Tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (we use Silk brand)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Chocolate Drizzle
- ¼ cup enjoy life mini chips
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Add flours, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, enjoy life chips and salt to large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined. In a seperate, small mixing bowl, add coconut milk, vanilla, apple sauce and maple syrup. Stir to mix and then add to large bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until just combined, being careful to not overmix the batter. The batter will be quite sticky and wet in appearance.
- Using damp hands so that batter does not stick to them, split batter into 6 evenly sized portions and transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Shape into desired scone shape (we opted for traditional triangles but circles or even square would work just as well).
- Bake for 16 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack.
- Add enjoy life mini chips and coconut oil to small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until melted.
- Remove from heat and use a spoon to drizzle over the scones.
These scones are best if enjoyed the same day - they can dry out a bit on the second day since there is no oil in the recipe.