I don’t know about you folks, but this summer-like weather we’ve been enjoying lately has me craving cocktails, patios and light, refreshing eats. These Summer Fresh Spring Rolls are the perfect recipe to kick your summer snacking off on a healthy, wholesome foot.
I’ve always been a big fan of handmade fresh spring rolls – in fact, when we go to our favourite Thai restaurant in town, we always order their spring rolls for our appetizer. I just love how fresh and flavourful handmade spring rolls are and these Summer Fresh Spring Rolls are no exception to this rule!
Rather than share a typical Spring Roll recipe with you all today, I was inspired to jazz it up a bit with the addition of some fresh, flavourful fruit – a lovely twist on this recipe, if I do say so myself. The pineapple and strawberries in these Summer Fresh Spring Rolls takes these from great to out of this world amazing. Plus, I have a top-notch avocado sweet-chili lime sauce that will knock your socks off. Ya, I really went all out with this recipe but it’s quick, easy and super fun to put together so I really couldn’t help myself.
These Summer Fresh Spring Rolls are done two ways – one with mint and one with cilantro. So for all you cilantro haters out there – the mint one is special, just for you. Myself, I can’t get enough of that delicious cilantro and really piled mine on there. Preparing both options at once is really fun since it becomes a bit of a Spring Roll Roulette of sorts – unless you really try to spot the difference, you’re not quite sure which delicious flavour will fill your mouth until you take a giant bite!
I think my favourite part of these Summer Fresh Spring Rolls though is the Avocado Sweet-Chili Lime sauce that I whipped up to pair them with. Oh, mama – it’s a goodie! I wanted something that would pair well with both the mint and cilantro options for these spring rolls and this dipping sauce does not disappoint! It’s creamy and tangy with a slight hint of heat and sweetness. It would be perfect with all sorts of Mexican dishes or even to use as a veggie dip on it’s own.
Preparing these wraps is super fun and would be a great way to involve the whole family in making dinner. Basically, you cut all of your vegetable and fruit fillings into long, skinny matchsticks and just pile everything up all nice and neat within the rice paper. The rice paper is also pretty forgiving in the quantity department – as long as you don’t pull too tight, you can fit a really large amount of goodies in your spring roll. This is great news for those of us who may be a little extra zealous in the preparation department 😉
These wraps are nutritious and delicious, bursting with carrots, cucumbers, pineapple, strawberries, cilantro or mint and spinach rice noodles. Plus, with the avocado and lime in the dipping sauce, your getting a well-rounded selection of fruits and veggies in one little compact meal. This recipe also lends itself well to modifications – you could add other fruits and veggies like radishes, mango, peppers, peaches or whatever else your heart desires. The flavours in these Summer Fresh Spring Rolls are reminiscent of my Mexican Summer Fresh Couscous and the two would pair wonderfully together for a summer dinner party with friends.
So, make yourself up a pitcher of sangria, pop on your favourite summer day jams and make up a batch of these Summer Fresh Spring Rolls for an instant summer backyard par-tay! Make sure you take pictures of any recipes you make from the blog – we love to see them! Tag them #glutenfreeveganpantry so we can check them out and show them off to our followers! 🙂
- 10 rice paper rolls
- 1 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 3 carrots cut into matchsticks
- ½ pineapple, cut into matchsticks
- 10 strawberries, sliced into wedges
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 125 g spinach vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 4 Tbsp water
- ⅛ tsp chili flakes
- Cook the Spinach Noodles as per package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Take one rice paper wrap and place it on a cutting board. Using a wet paper towel, wring some water onto the rice paper wrap and use your hand to rub it around on the wrap. After about 10 seconds, the wrap will begin to moisten and become workable.
- Place about 4 matchsticks each of carrots, cucumbers, pineapple and strawberries onto the centre of the rice paper wrap. Add about 3 tbsp worth of rice noodles. Top with either 4-5 mint leaves or a handful of cilantro.
- Wrap the rice paper wrap. Start by folding the left side of the wrap over the filling. Follow with the right side, keeping things moderately tight. Then, fold up the bottom of the wrap over the fillings, tuck it under the fillings and proceed to gently roll the remainder of the wrap until you have your spring roll.
- Place onto a plate with the seam-side down and cover with a moist paper towel to keep things fresh until you're ready to enjoy.
- Continue the same process until you have made all 10 of your spring rolls
- All all ingredients to a blender or processor attachment of an immersion blender. Blend on high for about 1 minutes, or until smooth and creamy.
Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily says
Fruit Summer Rolls??? Fun!
Thanks, Gwen! I completely agree! 🙂
OMG we just about have the same name 🙂 this recipe looks soooo good, I’ll have to try it soon! perfect for the warmer months
Hooray for almost name twins! 🙂 Glad you enjoyed the post!
[email protected] says
Wow love the colorful healthy vegetables!
Arman @ thebigmansworld says
Savanna, this is art!!!! Well, edible art. These look so fresh and delicious, I want to eat my screen (but won’t. That’s just silly). 🙂
Phew – I thought for a second this was going to turn into one of those situations where your tongue gets stuck to the screen, almost like a frozen metal pole in the winter 😉 So glad you enjoyed the recipe!
Spring rolls have always been a favorite of mine! These look amazing!! Not to mention your blog is beautiful. If you’re looking for some vegan restaurants check out a recent post of mine! http://www.thebrookeeper.com/food/5-awesome-vegan-eateries-you-must-try/
Thanks so much, Brooke! They were incredibly tasty. I’ll be sure to check out your blog – your post about vegan restaurants sounds intriguing!
these are STUNNING! I love a surprise of sweet in my rolls!
Me too! Thanks, Kristina!