I have a new obsession. It starts with an A and ends in -vocado Toast. The only cure: more avocado toast! And I’m not just talking about plain jane avocado toast – no sir-e-bob – I’m talking about avocado toast that is jacked up. Avocado toast done full tilt. Avocado Toast done five ways. You ready for this? Oh, Baby.
For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you’ll know that I love to rock me some green breakfast, either in the form of this avocado toast or a delicious, refreshing smoothie. So, it was only a natural progression for me to expand on my favourite avocado toast and take it to the next level.
All my fellow avocado toast lovers rejoice! Avocado toast five ways is going to knock your socks off and help give you some variety on an old classic.
Now it’s only fair to be honest. This idea came to me when I was cleaning out my fridge one day and realized that I had bits of this and that left over from other recipes that I had made that week. I had no idea how I was going to use up all those random ingredients and couldn’t really think of a way that I could use all the bits and bobs at once – sriracha strawberries? No thanks.
So, as I was making my breakfast of avocado toast for the
1,467,968th first time that week, I wondered what it would be like if I added some toppings. We all know how much I love toppings. The results: pure magic. And an excellent way to add in some protein, sweets or a little spice, depending on your preference.
So, my dear friends, the five kinds of avocado toast that you should immediately introduce into your regular breakfast rotation:
- Avocado +sea salt + fresh pepper – perfect for the plain-janer who needs to keep things simple and comfortable at breakfast.
- Avocado + strawberries + pineapple – perfect for those of us who like to eat dessert for breakfast. Chocolate smoothie bowls, anyone?
- Avocado + chickpeas + sriracha sauce – perfect for people who live on the edge and are always looking for that next bit of spice in their lives.
- Avocado + black beans + bell peppers + cilantro – perfect for the person who just can’t get enough Mexican food. Guilty.
- Avocado + fresh tomato – perfect for those of us looking to add a fresh burst of juicy flavour to our morning routines.
So what kind of avocado toast eater are you? Do you like to keep things simple with the good ‘ole salt and pepper approach? Or maybe you run on full-speed right out the gate and thrive on the spiciness of chickpeas and sriracha in the morning? Whatever your avocado toast personality, this post has got you covered.
So show us your avocado toast! Snap some pictures of this glorious recipe in your own kitchen and tag them #glutenfreeveganpantry when you post them to Instagram! I love seeing recipes in action!! Happy Avocado Toasting, everyone!
- 5 slices of your favourite gluten-free, vegan bread
- 3 avocados
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 strawberries, sliced
- 2 Tbsp pineapple chunks, canned or fresh
- ¼ cup chickpeas
- 1 tsp sriracha
- ¼ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 Tbsp black beans
- handful cilantro leaves
- tomato, sliced
- Toast your bread
- Halve, pit, peel and scoop your avocado into a small bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocado.
- Divide the mashed avocado up evenly amongst the slices of bread.
- Top as follows:
- Add Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place sliced strawberries over avocado mash. Top with chunks of pineapple.
- Layer chickpeas on top of avocado mash. Top with a drizzle of Sriracha sauce.
- Place sliced tomato on top of avocado mash. Top with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place sliced peppers on avocado mash. Between each pepper slice, add a row of black beans. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro leaves.
lettore blu ray says
You’re so cool! I don’t believe I have read through a single thing like this before.
So nice to find someone with genuine thoughts on this subject.
Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is
something that is needed on the internet, someone with some originality!
Zoe Pickburn says
I absolutely love avocado toast but it can be so hard to find decent GF bread. The next time I get hold of a good loaf I’m definitely giving avocado + chickpeas a try!
I loved avocado toast 5 months ago when I was just vegan. I’ve since gone off gluten for my newborn and I haven’t found a decent vegan gluten free bread. Any suggestions? I would LOVE to eat avocado toast again! So glad I stumbled across your blog!
Hi Debra, We actually buy ours from a local bake shop here in town so unless your in the Greater Toronto Area of Canada, I don’t know how much help I can be. Check out your local Whole Foods of a Health Food Store though – they might be able to help out with sourcing a good loaf 🙂
Amy Basso says
What a fabulous idea! I love the idea of the avocado with chickpeas!
Thanks, Amy! It turned out better than I had originally expected, actually! 🙂
Sometimes, just seeing some new ideas for something we love so much is all that is necessary to make the magic happen! We love avocado toast…but we also have been feeling the boredom of the same thing all the time. Just seeing some of your great ideas for toppings has inspired us to try not only these ones, but several more! Thanks!
Yay! I’m so happy to have encouraged some inspiration 🙂 Can’t wait to hear what tasty combos you come up with.
Alisa - Go Dairy Free says
I’ve been loving avocado toast lately! I’m intrigued by the chickpea sriracha combo!
It’s so good, Alisa. Just be careful if you have a super spicy sriracha!