I have a new obsession. It starts with an A and ends in -vocado Toast. The only cure: more avocado toast! And I’m not just talking about plain jane avocado toast - no sir-e-bob - I’m talking about avocado toast that is jacked up. Avocado toast done full tilt. Avocado Toast done five ways. You ready for this? Oh, Baby.
For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you’ll know that I love to rock me some green breakfast, either in the form of this avocado toast or a delicious, refreshing smoothie. So, it was only a natural progression for me to expand on my favourite avocado toast and take it to the next level.
All my fellow avocado toast lovers rejoice! Avocado toast five ways is going to knock your socks off and help give you some variety on an old classic.
Now it’s only fair to be honest. This idea came to me when I was cleaning out my fridge one day and realized that I had bits of this and that left over from other recipes that I had made that week. I had no idea how I was going to use up all those random ingredients and couldn’t really think of a way that I could use all the bits and bobs at once - sriracha strawberries? No thanks.
So, as I was making my breakfast of avocado toast for the
1,467,968th first time that week, I wondered what it would be like if I added some toppings. We all know how much I love toppings. The results: pure magic. And an excellent way to add in some protein, sweets or a little spice, depending on your preference.
- Avocado +sea salt + fresh pepper - perfect for the plain-janer who needs to keep things simple and comfortable at breakfast.
- Avocado + strawberries + pineapple - perfect for those of us who like to eat dessert for breakfast. Chocolate smoothie bowls, anyone?
- Avocado + chickpeas + sriracha sauce - perfect for people who live on the edge and are always looking for that next bit of spice in their lives.
- Avocado + black beans + bell peppers + cilantro - perfect for the person who just can’t get enough Mexican food. Guilty.
- Avocado + fresh tomato - perfect for those of us looking to add a fresh burst of juicy flavour to our morning routines.
So what kind of avocado toast eater are you? Do you like to keep things simple with the good ‘ole salt and pepper approach? Or maybe you run on full-speed right out the gate and thrive on the spiciness of chickpeas and sriracha in the morning? Whatever your avocado toast personality, this post has got you covered.
So show us your avocado toast! Snap some pictures of this glorious recipe in your own kitchen and tag them #glutenfreeveganpantry when you post them to Instagram! I love seeing recipes in action!! Happy Avocado Toasting, everyone!
- 5 slices of your favourite gluten-free, vegan bread
- 3 avocados
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 strawberries, sliced
- 2 Tbsp pineapple chunks, canned or fresh
- ¼ cup chickpeas
- 1 tsp sriracha
- ¼ yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 2 Tbsp black beans
- handful cilantro leaves
- tomato, sliced
- Toast your bread
- Halve, pit, peel and scoop your avocado into a small bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocado.
- Divide the mashed avocado up evenly amongst the slices of bread.
- Top as follows:
- Add Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place sliced strawberries over avocado mash. Top with chunks of pineapple.
- Layer chickpeas on top of avocado mash. Top with a drizzle of Sriracha sauce.
- Place sliced tomato on top of avocado mash. Top with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place sliced peppers on avocado mash. Between each pepper slice, add a row of black beans. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro leaves.