Presenting: Vegan Marshmallow Fluff!
Now, full disclosure: this is not my original idea, but holy heck is it ever pure genius! Check out the original Facebook group where this culinary genius was discovered.
While I didn’t dream up using chickpea brine to make a vegan meringue, I did come up with this incredibly tasty recipe to make Vegan Marshmallow Fluff. My life is now complete.
Cookies? Add a dollop of Vegan Marshmallow Fluff!
Eating Ice Cream? Here, let me top that off with some Vegan Marshmallow Fluff!
Having Oatmeal for Breakfast? A sprinkle of Vegan Marshmallow Fluff will take that bowl of goodness right over the top!
I think you get the idea 😉
The coolest part about this Vegan Marshmallow Fluff is that it’s made from chickpea brine! Yup, that weird liquid that we all just happily drain off of our beautiful chickpeas. So stop wasting that liquid gold and be prepared to experience a whole new level of dessert goodness.
The cool part about chickpea brine is that it whips up just like egg whites. Vegans, rejoice! This means that all sorts of really cool things can be made from this new-found culinary treasure. My new pet project is totally going to be making Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie – YUM!
Place your chickpea brine into the bowl of your stand mixer. Turn the mixer on low for about 1-2 minutes, then ramp it up to medium-high. Walk away and come back in 10 minutes. Voila! The chickpea brine will magically have turned into fluff! Be prepared to see that it has more than quadrupled in size – it’s really quite neat!
Add in the sugar, arrowroot powder and extracts and you’re good to go. Even my husband enjoyed this incredible Vegan Marshmallow Fluff and, as I’ve mentioned before, he is not a sweets guy! He was totally licking the wooden spoon after we shot the pictures for this post – it was entertaining, to say the least.
Like all of our recipes here, in addition to being naturally vegan, this recipe is also gluten-free! Hooray for being allergy friendly! 🙂
So what are you waiting for? Skip on over to your own kitchen and try out this Vegan Marshmallow Fluff for yourself! Make sure to tag your own vegan marshmallow fluff with #glutenfreeveganpantry and share your pictures on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook! Enjoy!!
After-thought: After I wrote up this post, I went back to the bowl of this fluff in my fridge with plans to try and make a true meringue. This is when I discovered the true trick to properly making this meringue/fluff: using the whisk attachment!! So, my friends, you have two options – if you wish a more dense, smooth, glossy, vegan mashmallow fluff, ideal for creating marshmallow ripple in ice creams, for example, use the regular mixing paddle attachment that you see pictured in the photos for this post or if you want a true meringue like fluff, use your whisk attachment for best results. Your mind will actually be blown by the results!!
- 1 can chickpeas, chilled
- 1 cup sugar
- 2½ tsp arrowroot powder
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp almond extract
- Open your can of chickpeas and seperate the chickpea brine from the chickpeas. Save the chickpeas for your favourite recipe.
- Place the chilled chickpea brine into the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, mix on low for 2-3 minutes, then mix on high for an additional 10 minutes. Mixture will start to take on soft peaks and will have at least doubled in size.
- Slowly add the sugar, ¼ cup at a time. Allow the brine mixture to continue beating.
- Add the arrowroot powder, vanilla extract and almond extract and allow to mix for another 1-2 minutes. Mixture will be rick and creamy, taking on the texture of melted marshmallows.
- Use to top ice cream, your favourite desserts or within your favourite recipe that calls for marshmallow fluff.